MaineHealth supports research and clinical trials throughout its healthcare system. Maine Medical Center (MMC), the flagship hospital of MaineHealth, is Maine’s only academic medical center. Maine Medical Center Research Institute conducts cutting edge biomedical research that provides the most advanced treatment options for MaineHealth patients.
A clinical trial is a research study that helps scientists and doctors discover better ways to treat diseases. In a clinical trial, people try new treatments targeted at specific diseases. Researchers learn how well the experimental treatment works.
The MaineHealth Clinical Trials Office is dedicated to providing high quality clinical trials in accordance with Maine Health’s mission to care for our community, educate tomorrow’s caregivers and researching new ways to provide care.
MaineHealth is strongly committed to protecting the interests of patients who volunteer to participate in clinical trials. Before joining a clinical trial, patients should consult their doctor and gather as much information as possible about the trial. Through clinical trials, eligible patients:
• May get a new treatment for a disease before it is available to everyone.
• Play a more active role in their own health care.
• May be provided with medical care and more frequent health check-ups as part of the study treatment.
• May have the chance to help others get a better treatment for their health problems in the future.
• May have access to information about support groups and resources.